Tuesday 29 December 2015

We Need A Safety Handbooks/Pamplets For Cyclists Locally Within Mount Druitt and Blacktown LGA!

I have been thinking about this for quite a long time and I think that after a lot of holding back and waiting, cyclists with Mount Druitt and  Blacktown Local Government Area need to be provided with  a handbook/ pamphlet that would could make a difference with lives.

Being one of the most populated Council's within Australia and a Mayor that is passionate about the community's health: exercising, walking and cycling. We have Blacktown City Council cycle routes online map that doesn't number or name cycle routes, which could be done to commemorate people of the past. They that have made local history and have gone to great lengths to make the place a better place.

In saying this, I see so may elderly and young cyclists not wearing proper cycle gear. I am worried if they end up having an accident an whether they end up with light or heavy body injuries or even up up as a fatality. I know I should be thinking of it but it appears, the schools are teaching them, they don't listen to local press and parents want their children to ride their new toy but forget of the essentials.

So, we know what type of information should be in a handbook / pamphlet, what we need to do is work out, who would officially produce and print it? The easy one is  how it will be distributed, I'll place my hand up for this!

The answer is the Blacktown City Council Transport section in conjunction with  vital community members, should  be involved, produce and print it. They may need assistance from NSW Transport but I think this should be an exclusive from Blacktown itself. Something they can be proud to do for the community. I don't think it would be an enormous budget to do it, yet only others would know! Maybe other Councils will adopt if it is successful and has so much positive feedback! This should be added immediately into the Council's Integrated Transport Management Plan!

My estimations would be that between 10-15% of cyclists use proper safety measures when riding!



No comments: