Tuesday 5 June 2018

Purchasing Power Then And Now......

What is so interesting in my life span so far, is seeing physical changes around myself and within myself. Every day our community changes, people from our community move in, move around and move out.

Remember, people within our community are the ones that make our cimmunity so great. We with ourse lves grow from children to adulthood and it is what we do in alll stages that determines the lives we need.

As we live in our community and grow older, we tend to look at how the world around us changes: our environment, our neighborhood, our lanes turn into streets and our streets turn into highways. Then what we tend to forget is the value  and comparison of what we could buy 50 years ago compared to income received now to current expenditure.

We have to turn to our clocks back beyong the year of my birth, where the income received then gave you much more buying power. There were the times when women were housewives tendering to keep the house clean and nurtueung the children. Generally, the one income earnt by the husband was  the only household income, enough to support a reasonably sized family.

What I am leading to is our purchasing power over decades and years, has dimminished. Inflation has overtaken. It costs more to live more and the icome is also more.

To give you an example, from my personal experience, I can remember in my younger years when my parents took to me to have haircuts in Bondi Junction, the barber went too would give me 5 cents after the haircut to buy a 'paddle pop stick ice cream'. Today what could you buy for 5 cents?

Now, I don't think today's barbers buy icecreams for young chjildren and do good deads The Paddle Pop  icecream is  approximately  $7.00 if you purchase in a pack of 10. 

No comments: