Thursday 31 July 2014

Surprise, Surprise Who Did I Bump Into Today?

Well today is a day that makes myself proud to be just myself! This is unusual for blogs to start this way, especially if we are talking about "why I love Mount Druitt"!

So talking about Mount Druitt I found someone else in Mount Druitt that lives and breaths Mount Druitt areas, lives in Rooty Hill and you are probably wondering who it is?

Here it is, The Hon. Member for Mount Druitt, Mr. Richard Amery, has been the Member of Mount Druitt since 1991 (1 year after I moved into the area) and has been a member of New South Wales Parliament since 1983 as a member of RiverstoneHe has been allocated responsibilities of Minister of Land, Water Conservation and Corrective Services. As a former Police Officer (before entering NSW Parliament), I thought Mr. Amery had served as a NSW Minister of Police. I now think he would be very experienced as a future NSW Premier, if the time came. Born in 1951 in Liverpool, this makes him a better experienced Western Sydney resident than myself.

So, I as I met Mr Richard Amery briefly today, he paid a few compliments to myself and that I didn't expect. He has know myself for the last 5 years or as a public transport activist and he has seen my recent change to being an individual community activist in the last 6 months or so.

He is such a nice gentleman. If fact, as you get to know a few politicians, a majority of them are hard working for the community following their faction and /or party political guidelines.

With a New South Wales State election around the corner next year, I have mixed feelings if he will contest the seat of Mount Druitt. Mr. Amery holds a 6.7% margin  in the seat from last election, there is a chance he could build on it increasing his majority, with factors like Liberal electing a new Premier, after the former Premier of NSW getting a few things moved in the State: Northwest Rail Link,  new electronic ticketing system, newer buses and trains in relation to public transport as well.

I understand he is talking to his family to consider his options, yet claims the last 3-4 years he has been happy, enjoys the work and learns, every day from within the community in how he providing improvements in the area. He has lived in his little house for many years, loves Mount Druitt area like myself and doesn't want to move out of the area also like myself.  He is another person that says, 'Why I love Mount Druitt....' I do hope he contests the seat, but that is up to the Labor Party.

I have heard of unconfirmed 'rumors' that Local Ward 4, Labor Blacktown City Councillor, Mr. Edmond Atalla, may be contesting the seat as a Labor Party candidate, from 2 different sources. Yet, I don't believe them until I hear of them as being confirmed by Mr. Richard Amery, himself.
  Mr. Amery has a strong following in the area and may be hard to beat. It would have to be a strong independent candidate to do so as Mount Druitt is one of the safest State Labor seats, in NSW.

In relation to Public Transport, Mr. Amery is concerned that Opal Cards cannot be topped up at Sydney Trains, train stations. To understand this, it can be understood if explained like this: In simple terms Sydney Trains is a 'Government Body' and Opal is a 
'Private  Company'. It would be a costly job for the NSW Government to take on the ticketing of the new electronic ticketing system, manage all transactions, keep customers happy, whilst explaining how to order and use the Opal Cards. This also is job creative with Opal having a 24 hour call centre.

So, if Sydney Trains Customer Service Officers, were selling Opal Cards or accepting money to 'Top Up' Opal Cards, they would have to be paid a commission as per the current retailers.

A Mount Druitt Sydney Trains spokesperson has indicated that other States using Electronic Ticketing on public transport, the tickets are not purchased at train stations or 'topped up' there.

Speaking to Mr. Amery, I have advise him of Opal Retailer lists in and around Mount Druitt Click here for lists of Opal Retailers
He asked, 'If the News Agent at the Mount Druitt train station is avaialable to "top up", yet?' as he was stating that it should  convenient for commuters and  the next best placed if it cannot be done at train stations.

I  replied, "Not at yet!" Yet, I have some good news for Mr. Amery and the people of Mount Druitt, it won't be long before the Opal Card will be able to be 'Topped Up" at the Mount  Druitt News Agency, as advised by the same Sydney Trains Mount Druitt spokesperson. Good and great news!

Well thee compliment Mr. Amery provided I take to heart as he stated that there isn't just him working in the area for improvements in our community, there is someone else doing this. He really likes the previous blogs I have on Mount Druitt  Commuters Improvement Group and the current new one Why I love Mount Druitt and the first one has been mentioned in  NSW State Parliament. He asked myself to keep up the good work!

No comments: