Sunday 20 July 2014

Opal Card Improvements Required - Refered to The NSW Minister of Transport and NSW Transport Parliamentary Secretary

 I have recommended improvements with the launching of the Opal Card Electronic Ticketing System. Things that I fee are important especially for the elderly that may not understand the process of using the Opal Card. This e-mail was sent to the Minister of Transport's e-mail and then returned, so I have sent it as an electronic contact to the Minister of Transport. Here it is :

To: M/s Gladys Berejiklian,

NSW Minister of Transport,

CC: Mr. Ray Williams,

NSW Parliamentary Secretary of Transport,

Dear M/s Berejiklian,

I am John Svoboda a former public transport advocate for Western Sydney and Mount Druitt. I am an advocate for community improvements within Mount Druitt ( which it includes public transport) and my new website .is http://whyilovemountdruitt.blogspot.com.au/ .
Yesterday, I have just received my new Opal Electronic Ticket to be used on all forms of public transport. I have been promoting the Opal Card, as a great new public transport initiative that should have been introduced 10 years ago or more, people keep telling myself. I would like to make a couple suggestions, to your government, which could be great improvements for all commuters in NSW.
One of them is mostly for the elderly, who will be thinking that the fares may be more expensive and not understanding the process of applying for the Opal Card and use of, I think the NSW Government should have community meetings with Opal ( out Western Sydney) inviting the public to information sessions, in major business hubs, as well as ensuring bus drivers are handing out Opal Card pamphlets to each bus commuter that is not using an Opal Card.
Secondly, I was speaking to Russell from Opal tonight, he said he is the only Russell there. He was very polite and liked my idea that Opal trip details, providing journey statistics (Month after) be made available on th Opal or Transport for NSW website or both, similar to Transport for NSW visual barrier statistics http://visual.bts.nsw.gov.au/barrier/. And then the wider public as well as the NSW Government will be able to see the true picture of public trans and even sight new corridors  needed for public transport improvements!
Can we see more adds on TV for the Opal Cards - this could be a great idea as well!

I take this opportunity to thank you both for  viewing my e-mail and hope you make look at these improvements to assist the community. Thank you both for your great jobs and effort to run a smooth NSW State with public transport.
Yours sincerely,

John Svoboda

No comments: