Monday 6 October 2014

Year Of The Bunny - Footy Season in Mount Druitt!

A lot of people follow the National Rugby League Code and normally support one of the teams of the NRL, either chose of allegiance from the time they were born, colors or because of choosing 'winning teams'.

A majority of the young people and elderly in Mount Druitt would be supporting the Penrith Panthers winners of 2 grand finals and the rest would be supporting teams from outside the area. My understanding would have been that the next biggest supporters of league in the area would have been Parramatta. Ever since I moved in the area I knew of up to 6 people within Mount Druitt that supported South Sydney Rabbitohs, one fanatic St George Dragons supporter and also one Western Sydney Tigers supporter.

As from yesterday I have seen  rabbit supporters come out their warrens from every where.

Here's a short story of what happened yesterday:


After 43 years my NRL supported team wins - I was 10 when they last won. So I am proud as can be.

Yesterday, I went to Whalan Compounding Chemist and the new owner had spread of the Bulldogs Team hung up on top. The lady that served said in a nice way, I have to support 'Bulldogs' to serve customers here. Yet I knew she was saying that to be funny.
As I walked in, I must have been the first 'Bunny Supporter' with Cap and jersey, which she distracted the chemist and made sure he knew. I didn't want to jeer him up. I believed in being and acting in low key, in case 'Souths' being favorite, lost! The chemist and myself  agreed that as long as the referees are fair, all we want is a good spectacular game, to be remembered. I asked him  (as I have asked any Bulldogs supporter), if he believed Michael Ennis will play for them - he said he didn't think so!
During the at Westfield, Mount Druitt I felt like a 'King God' , although I was a nobody, as people would approach myself and wish for 'Souths to win'! In the afternoon I was leaving one store, when one of the male employees said behind my back,' I'm going home to watch the Bulldogs thrash Bunnies!' I t didn't occur to me that it was in reaction to the team colors, I was wearing!
I turned around and realised that it was aimed ay myself and just said, 'Yes they might do this but I just wish for the best team to win!'

I have seen so many people within Mount Druitt, driving red,white and green fags, on cars, caps on heads and jerseys. There is that Pride of the 'Bunny in Mount Druitt'

And to add cream to this story, the South Sydney won last night, with such passion, power, dignity, true fitness, skill, confidence, leadership, high professionalism, team spirit, maturity, majestic touch, great sport, such stamina and endurance of winning the game on a high note.

I'm sure there are hundred or so community members in Mount Druitt, maybe even local Councillors from Blacktown City Council and even Council officers that would have supported South Sydney, during their life, well this is a chance to enjoy the Pride of the Rabbits in there great victory!


Click here to the South Sydney Team Song  


Lyrics to the South Sydney Theme Song;


Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
South Sydney Marches On
When speaking of the champions
One stands above the rest
Of glories old and records proud
When often put to test
Of fine traditions, history
That others cannot best
They wear the red and green
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
South Sydney Marches On
They mauled the Balmain Tigers
Slew the Dragons from St. George
The Seagulls and the Mounties next
Were crushed with mighty force
They humbled Parramatta
And the Berries in due course
They wear the red and green
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
South Sydney Marches On
They plucked the Western Magpies
Slashed the Newtown bag of blue
The Eastern Suburbs rooster crowed
And then was conquered too
The greatest name in any game
Within South Sydney grew
They wear the red and green
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
South Sydney Marches On
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
South Sydney Marches On.


If you have not got a NRL to support or you know of someone that needs a team to support, remember 'South Sydney Rabbitohs'. They are a great team!

No comments: