Saturday 28 October 2017

Blacktown City Council - Media Release - Blacksmith To Fire Up Festival Forge

MEDIA RELEASE
Description: Description: BCC Logo 2007 Ver - Coloured - Outline Text


27 October 2017

The ancient trade of blacksmithing will be on show at the inaugural Quakers Hill Festival on 4 November.

Levi Pendlebury, AKA The Village Blacksmith, will demonstrate his metalwork and blacksmith skills at the festival, organised by Blacktown City Council.

“I won’t be selling anything, it will all be me making stuff by forging hot metal and asking kids questions to see if they’ve understood,” he said.

“It gives them a new perspective that not everything is made at Bunnings.”

Mr Pendlebury said the popularity of television show Game of Thrones had fuelled resurgence in blacksmithing.

However, his passion for the trade was sparked much closer to home, long before the Lannisters and Starks began their deadly game to sit atop the Iron Throne. 

“When I was 14 years old I saw (blacksmith) Gordon Blackwell at Nurragingy Reserve and I was captivated,” he said.

“I went on to do my apprenticeship with him. I’m 31 now and I can’t imagine what I’d be doing now if it wasn’t blacksmithing; I’m so grateful to Gordon.”

Away from Mr Pendlebury’s forge, there will be plenty of activities and attractions on offer to entertain festival goers.  

There will be free rides, a jumping castle, live stage entertainment by local talent, market stalls, face painting and a kids gardening workshop.

Vendors selling Indian, Turkish and Japanese cuisine will satisfy a variety of tastes.

Mayor of Blacktown City Stephen Bali encouraged everyone in the community to come together for the first ever Quakers Hill Festival.

“Quakers Hill is a growing suburb with a thriving community spirit and rich history,” Mayor Bali said.

“Council wants to celebrate and acknowledge this by hosting a festival for all in the community to enjoy. 

“I encourage everyone from across Blacktown City to come along and celebrate the talent, diversity and history that makes Quakers Hill such a vibrant community.”

No comments: