Tuesday 11 August 2015

Family Goes Out For Walk Instead Of Playing PC Games All Day- Great Idea To Keep Fit!

On Sunday as I was walking back home and I had been walking past a young family that was walking. In fact, the young father said, 'We get away from the house as walking is good, gets us out of the house and we are wasting our time playing PC games all day'!


Many organisations use walking and running for competitions and fundraising but one of the biggest fundraising organisations in Australia that provides great support is the 'Heart Foundation', which even has official walking clubs that allow the open community to go on any lengths of walks at low to high pace.
 
Click here for the Heart Foundation 

The family that went for a walk, was a great family as we tend to stay at our own homes, most of the times. I know the Mayor, Councillor Stephen Bali, supporting walking and community walking as we have both raised this topic before in relation to another manner. Community members walking creates a a healthier community, which is vital in everyone's lives.
 
I have since found 2 local Heart Foundation walking groups the area and if you are interested in  join them here they are:

Mt Druitt Wonderful Walkers

Meeting Point:  Mt Druitt Community Health Centre
Address:  Cnr Buran & Kelly CL, MOUNT DRUITT, 2770
Walk Organiser:  Janis
Contact:  0434 324 248
Group Speciality:  Parents with prams, Distance:  0 KMs, Duration:  30 or less min, Speed:  Medium
Walk Times:  Wednesday 09:30


Weightless Walkers

Meeting Point:  WO home - contact for details
Address:  16 Saidor RD, WHALAN, 2770
Walk Organiser:  Wendy
Contact:  0421 337 375
Group Speciality:  Other, please specify, Distance:  0 KMs, Duration:  45-60 min, Speed:  Medium
Walk Times:  Tuesday 19:00


So although walking around Mount Druitt and surrounding suburbs is a personal choice, the more you walk and the more I walk, the more we can become healthier.

Take the walk, at your own pace. Bring family and/or friends with you. Take water and fluids if you are going for long walks and enjoy yourself on your walking trip and return home.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I use the opportunity to take a couple of large trash bags and a reach stick and pick up garbage from along my street. Hythe Street is 1 km in length, so by the time I've done both sides, I've walked 2km. Not only that but I've picked up all the rubbish along my street and I've used the app, Snap Send Solve on my iPhone to report any hard waste or any maintenance directly to council.