Wednesday 27 August 2014

Request For Federal, State And Local Politicians To Get To And From Council Chambers and Parliamnent By Public Transport - Using Opal Cards


It seems like, before we preach to the unconverted commuter, we need to preach to unconverted local, State and Federal Politicians to travel to and from their workplace and home also using public transport and the Opal Card.

In my life I have seen  two Federal Members of Parliament use trains, personally: Mr Roger Price, Former Federal member for Chifley and Former Federal Member for Lindsay, Mr. David Bradbury.

I have also seen NSW State Members, Mr. Ray Williams and Mr. Bart Basset get of Sydney Trains at Penrith station, a few years ago.


Once Local, State and Federal Members are traveling to their destinations, they will then have to understand how commuters have to cope day to day in catching buses, trains, taxis and possibly as a cyclist. If politicians don't travel using public transport, who will?

I also place same task to Blacktown City Council Transport officers and NSW for Transport to do the same.

Maybe politicians will get the community to talk to them and find out ways they can further benefit the community. I find by talking to people as a non-politician there is that comfort zone in talking to me.

I don't know if Roger Price remembers, but long before I was involved as  public transport advocate, I actually approached him and started to make conversation. It wasn't political it great listening to him wanting to visit former Telecom employees and meeting up with them in Sydney. I was touched that an important local identity and politician, spoke to myself as a stranger! Nice man!

So who will be the first politician to do this? Provide a photograph/video their trip, who they speak too, so we can show the world.

No comments: