Wednesday 20 August 2014

Public Transport In Mount Druitt - Request By University Of NSW Student For Research

In the last 5 years or so of advocating for improved public transport, within Mount Druitt, I have been respected by all stake holders, public transport workers, local, State and Federal politicians. In return, I respect them and in no fashion would like their job. Some of them deserved to be well remunerated as they are all caring above all for the community.

Even hundreds of community members that I  know and have known and speak to, an overwhelming majority appreciate what passion I have for the Mount Druitt community. I get asked a lot, what do I get paid? Is this my full time job? What do I get out of it?

I can go back a few years ago when somebody said I would make a 'good' politician. I make a statement that to date, I have kept to my heart. 'Maybe, I could make a politician but I make better public transport advocate for the community. I will never be a politician1'. So for politicians out there, your safe from myself, running against you!

Now, back to the real story. I have been approached (by e-mail), from a NSW University Student, reasons why there is  a small percentage of  'working' commuters only catch buses, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. This student, is interested in doing research in and around Mount Druitt. I need to explain that because he refers to a Group blog (that I was the main publisher of these blogs), I have received his permission to respond only as an individual member of the community. 

Here is his request:
'I am a student at the University of New South Wales and am currently undertaking a research project on the transportation services in the Mount Druitt area. I have found the Mount Druitt Commuters Improvement Group blog very useful and I was hoping that you might be able to assist me with some further information.

According to Transport NSW Statistics (here) only 1% of Mt Druitt area residents travel to work via bus. I am hoping to understand why this percentage is so low. Are you able to shed any light on these figures or point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to find more information?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards


Michael

Eventually, my response to Michael was:

Hi Michael,
Thank you very much. Check the local papers next week for an articles!*
Interesting facts you have provided via ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics). I haven't seen it before.
Any way, to assist you: I am shocked about this figure as I have figures on total population, which is extremely higher than the report provided. I think the total population on your report is only for workers.
Mount Druitt has been understood to be in the past a low sociology-economic area, yet currently this is changing with a younger  population moving into the area, which come from different ethnic backgrounds, compared to 20-30 years ago. This is due to housing being affordable in the both rental and purchased property markets. The area is only changing as NSW Housing sell properties that are too expensive to maintain and repair.

In Mount Druitt, we do not have buses activating the New Electronic Ticketing System: Opal Card as yet. This is soon to come and will create a bit of confusion for the elderly. This should increase use of public transport econdaryspecially with weekly commuters.
The public transport history was terrific, until the NSW Labor Government of 2009, removed 3 bus services that were well patronised. I understand, this was due to possible anti-social behavior: young people and children, missile throwing on buses, possible life threatening issues, preventing sometimes services being cancelled. Cashless buses will reduce theft towards bus drivers
 
In relation to why 1 percent of  workers commuting by bus, it comes to quite a lot of reasons:
1) Blacktown Council need to look at getting rid of outdated, stinking, dark road overpasses over pathways that are in a few suburbs, a cause of anti-social behaviors. Resurface the roads, thus providing better commuter access to buses and better health and safety. Pedestrian crossings would be a much-needed and required.
2) Most bus time table services in peak times used to be very 15 minutes, if we had every ten minute bus services and everyone knew that there was more efficient bus services, then more people would leave their vehicles at home. Most peak hour services are currently every 20 minutes. 
3) Express bus services from suburb to suburb could be introduced, with 'Express Bus Stops', identified by the community and advertised through the local and wider newspapers and radio.
4) NSW Government could offer discount fares for commuters using 2 modes of transport: usually buses and trains.For single train users or bus users they would be charged the standard fare rate.
5) Primary and Secondary Schools are not continuously promoting public transport buses as a convenient way to get to and from schools
6) As well as time tables - brief  glossy flyers showing buses services to and from Mount Druitt.
7) Very early morning bus services during the week and especially on weekends - where it is hard for shift workers to reach Mount Druitt and outer parts of Mount Druitt or even further.
8) Late evening bus services during the week and especially on weekends - where it is hard for shift workers to reach home in Mount Druitt and outer parts of Mount Druitt or even further.
9) A majority of people find public transport buses an inconvenience to use as opposed to using private cars.
10)Commuter Car Parks have been provided in recent years, to make people drive their cars to Mount Druitt, 'Park and Ride' - this is good in promoting more people getting trains but reduces people catching buses.
11) Bus Reviews must include the community and transport representatives from Blacktown Local Council.
12) Cashless buses will reduce crime. Release of the Opal Electronic Ticketing System.
13) NSW for Transport needs to promote public transport advertising for all modes of public transport Everywhere - this has been lacking since the 1970's.
14) Too many people are single drivers of private cars - Local Council and NSW State Government, need not to widen Motor ways, need to look  supplying more frequent bus services and people will catch them.
15) Place more buses to smaller streets providing looping services to major shopping hubs, interconnecting to other bus services.
16) Mount Druitt Bus Interchange needs to be upgraded to cater for the larger population.

17) A better understanding from all public transport stake holders and researchers that public transport buses links the outer community suburbs to vital large shopping and community services hubs and if we focus on other forms of transport , neglect the promotion of these vital services, our stake holders will let the community down At present there is no local promotion for catching buses from NSW for Transport, Blacktown City Council and Bus ways currently operating buses in Sydney bus region 1.
18) Mount Druitt is an important interchange of public transport modes of transport now and will be even more vitally important as population improves anon the increase facilities have been fully planned for this.
19) With the extension of the Northwest Rail Link being extended to Mount Druitt, the bus connections will play a more important  role as it becomes a T junction for railway services.
20) A lot of bus commuters are job seekers,  shoppers, visitors and/or  students and there has been lobbying for a free bus shuttle looping around the wider community and shopping hub of Mount Druitt to root Hill. IF this was introduced then this will make it easier for everyone even job seekers and local residents that are employed in the area.

I hope this helps you. What sort of study are doing? Will you be able to provide a result of your searches to us?

I have been going through what my personal thoughts and passionate feelings are to get people into buses within Mount Druitt. A lot of these improvements may take a while to achieve.

Cheers
John
Result from Michael is:
'Hi John

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!!! That is all very interesting, helpful and provides great insight! I'm still in the research phase - and hoping to take a field trip to Mount Druitt once I have the majority of my research complete. Some of what you said has come up in the Blacktown City Council's Social Plan 2012 and the Integrated Transport Management Plan, but it is great to hear it from a local resident.

Once I complete my research I will ask my supervisor whether I can share my results with you. I'm not too sure at this stage what the policy is. But I will certainly try my best!
Thanks again for your help!
Cheers
 Michael
Michael has opened my eyes in Blacktown City Council's Social Plan 2012, where it indicates that in 2011 ABS indicated that in the Mount Druitt District there is poor bus services, more accessible public transport is required and their is a lack of public transport in the North West of Blacktown  (refer to page 83 & 84). I can't wait for Michael to provide his research to us, especially if it makes a few more academics be aware of our situation - with public transport.
Click Here for Michael's ABS research for Mount Druitt

Click here for Mount Druitt Commuters Improvement Group Inc Blogspot

Click here for Blacktown City Council's Social Plan 2012 

Click here for Blacktown City Council Integrated Transport Plan 



  




















No comments: