Sunday 21 August 2016

Helen Woods - 'whyilovemountdruitt' - Greens Candidate Ward 4

Displaying image1.PNGToday, I received the 'whyilovemountdruitt' from Helen Woods, from the Greens candidate for Ward 4 and here it is addressed to myself:
 




Hi John



Thank you for you email, and giving me an opportunity to let you know why I love Mount Druitt.



I have many reasons to love Mount Druitt, but I'll start with three.



 First of all, Mount Druitt TAFE is brilliant. I completed two courses there and the quality of the education I received was second to none. Also the TAFE is very close to the railway station making it a very accessible option.



Secondly, the Hub and surrounds is one of my favourite places on the planet. The library is world-class, and the meeting rooms upstairs are very affordable, so local groups can get together without breaking the bank. Add to this that there are often buskers, which gives the area a relaxed feel, and a nice pub to wash away the stresses of the day. As with the TAFE, all of this is on the doorstep of the station, so very very convenient to all.



Finally, the shopping. My Mum and I used have a great time visiting all the local op shops - some of the best in Sydney. Also, Westfield Mount Druitt is one of the few places in Sydney I can still find pontiac potatoes (the most delicious potato of them all).



The improvements I would like to see, and if elected would fight for, concern health and education.



First of all increased funding for Mount Druitt hospital. Mount Druitt hospital still has one the longest waiting times for emergency patients of all NSW hospitals. When undertaking my work experience, and also visiting a friend in palliative care, it was very evident that although the nurses and other hospital employees were true angels, they were constantly tired from working long hours, and understaffed. Of course it is wonderful to have new facilities and more beds, but not without adequate staffing.



I would also like to ensure food outlets in the Mount Druitt and greater Blacktown area offer healthy meal choices. Sadly, rates of obesity in Western Sydney have skyrocketed. Obesity is linked to diabetes, heart disease and many cancers. Many people work long hours, and the easiest option is take-away on the way home for themselves and their families. Often the cheapest thing on the menu is greasy chicken and chips, or similar, providing very little nutrition other than fat. If elected I'll investigate ways to encourage fast food outlets and more importantly school canteens to provide highly nutritious, and affordable options.



Finally, TAFE has been under attack for years by successive governments. Having a well educated population is key to a city's success. Well educated does not only mean a university education. TAFE has provided quality education and training to people in Western Sydney for generations. Closure and privatisation of our TAFE colleges are real threats, and if elected I will continue my work to save TAFE.


Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.



Kind regards,



Helen



Helen Woods

Greens Candidate

Ward 4

No comments: