Tuesday 19 May 2015

Struggle Street Season 2???? Is This Possible!!!

From Community Member, Wayne from Whalan:


I came across this article online and it seems like real possibility of a second season of “Struggle Street” happening (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/controversial-drama-struggle-street-in-sights-of-rival-networks/story-fna045gd-1227358254102), with major networks showing interest.



In my previous post, (http://whyilovemountdruitt.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/successful-whalan-community-member-on.html) overall I liked the program and I felt it was well done (despite the program being selective about its participants and overall depiction of Mount Druitt).

However, I do not think that a second season is a good idea, and given the nature of reality TV, I honestly do not think that a potential second series is going to help Mount Druitt shake off its stigma as a “lower class socially disadvantage area”.



Is the second season of “Struggle Street” going to show the positive side of Mount Druitt?

Is it going to highlight the strength and achievements of the people who live there and the good work that youth workers, social workers and youth groups do (such as Street University)? Unfortunately, I do not think that is going to happen.

I do admit I cannot predict the future or read minds (hopefully the intentions of the second series are good), but looking at other reality TV programs (such as “Keeping up with the Kardashians”, “Real housewives of Melbourne”, and “Big Brother” to name a few) creating drama is what creates huge ratings. Given the nature of such programs, I can pretty much guarantee that any second series of “Struggle Street” will just show more dysfunctional people, more people cursing and more people doing silly antics.



To me, this is unacceptable, it is not right to marginalize a community based on stereotypes and it is morally reprehensible to make one area the focus of all of Sydney all for the sake of entertainment and ratings.



For me, the importance of the work of Street University does becomes more apparent and its upcoming video series “MadeInMtDruitt” is something that the community needs to get behind.

Click for Struggle Street 2 Story

Click here for the previous blog on Struggle Street!



No comments: